- Peruvian Lives Across Borders: Power, Exclusion, and Home University of Illinois Press. Expected publication date: May 2018.
- 2014: La mujer en la violencia: Género, pobreza, y resistencia en el Perú. Lima: Instituto de Estudios Peruanos and Fondo Editorial de la Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú. (Spanish edition of The Woman in the Violence)
2010 The Woman in the Violence: Gender, Poverty, and Resistance in Peru. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press.
- 2015 Provocations: A Transnational Reader in the History of Feminist Thought. Co-editor, with Susan Bordo and Ellen Rosenman. University of California Press.
- 2008 Visión del Perú de académicos peruanos en Estados Unidos (Vision of Peru of Peruvian Academics in the United States). Co-editor, with Joseph Zavala. Lima: Academia Diplomática del Perú.
- Forthcoming: “Home and the Limits of Belonging: Homophobia and Return Migration to Peru.” Sexualities.
- 2016 "Racializing Undocumented Immigrants in the Age of Colorblindness: Millennials' Views from Kentucky." Latino Studies 14 (2): 234-257.
- 2015 “Transformative Journeys: The Impact of First-Time Motherhood on Mexican Women’s Migration Experiences in the US South.” Chicana/Latina Studies 14 (2): 64-101.
- 2014 “An Intersectional Approach to Latino Anti-Violence Engagement.” Culture, Society & Masculinities 6 (1): 35-51.
- 2014 “What it Means to be a Man? Violence and Homophobia in Latino Masculinities On and Off Screen.” Journal of Popular Culture 47 (3): 537- 554.
- 2013 “Feminist Identification and Women’s Control over their Bodies in a Neoliberal Context: A Closer Look at Pregnant Women on Bed Rest.” Feminist Formations 25 (3): 33-56.
- 2013 “Positive Themes in LGBT Self-Identities in Spanish-Speaking Countries.” Co-authored with Maria Almario, Ellen Riggle, Sharon Rostosky. International Perspectives in Psychology: Research, Practice, Consultation 2 (1): 1-13.
- 2013 “Exploring Knowledge, Belief and Experiences in Sexual and Reproductive Health in Immigrant Hispanic Women.” Co-authored with Ana Maria Quelopana. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. Published Online first, March 9, 2013.
- 2013 “Latin American Immigrant Women and the Intergenerational Transformation of Sexual Education.” Co-authored with Ana Maria Quelopana. Sex Education: Sexuality, Society, and Learning 13 (3): 291-304.
- 2011 “To Make it Through Each Day Still Pregnant’: Towards an Understanding of Women’s Experiences of Pregnancy Bed Rest. Journal of Gender Studies 20 (3): 209-221. 2011 “Masculinities in Motion: Latino Men and Violence in Kentucky.” Men and Masculinities 14 (4): 450-469.
- 2010 “Violence Across Borders: Familism, Hegemonic Masculinity, and Self Sacrificing Femininity in the Lives of Mexican and Peruvian Migrants.” Latino Studies 8 (1): 48-68.
- 2009 “Empowered Mothering among Poor Latina Women in Abusive Relationships.” Journal of the Association for Research on Mothering 11 (2): 134-142.
- 2009 “Between Indians and Incas: Inca Kola and Race in the Construction of a Peruvian-Global Modernity.” Journal of Consumer Culture 9 (1): 31-54. 2007 “Going Home: A Feminist Anthropologist’s Reflections on Dilemmas of Power and Positionality in the Field.” Meridians: Feminism, Race, Transnationalism 7 (2): 143-162.
- 2007 “'Why Would You Marry a Serrana?' Women’s Experiences of Identity-Based Violence in the Intimacy of their Homes in Lima.” Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Anthropology12 (1): 1-24. Featured article.
- 2007 Response to Commentaries by Gisela Cánepa, Bartholomew Dean, and Andrew Canessa on “Why Would You Marry A Serrana?...” Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Anthropology12 (1): 37-43.
- 2006 “The Roles of Migration and Class in Women’s Attempts to Escape Violence in Lima, Peru.” Latin American Perspectives 33 (6): 147-164
- 2015 “Doing Research and Teaching on Masculinities and Violence: One Mother of Sons Perspective.” In Teacher, Scholar, Mother: (Re)Envisioning Motherhood in the Academy, ed. Amy Young. New York: Lexington Books.
- 2015 “Introduction: The Challenges of Constructing a Transnational History.” In Provocations: A Transnational Reader in the History of Feminist Thought. Co-authored with Susan Bordo and Ellen Rosenman. University of California Press.
- 2015 “Mothers, Guerrillas, and Revolutionaries: Women’s Mobilization and Activism in times of Political Repression.” Essay for Provocations: A Transnational Reader in the History of Feminist Thought.University of California Press.
- 2015 “Feminist Organizing Around Violence Against Women in Mali, Peru, and India.” Co-authored essay with Srimati Basu and Emily Burrill. Essay Provocations: A Transnational Reader in the History of Feminist Thought. University of California Press.
- 2011 “Institutional Resources (Un)Available: The Effects of Police Attitudes and Actions on Battered Women in Peru.” Anthropology at the Front Lines of Gender-Based Violence, edited by Jennifer Wies and Hillary Haldane. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press.
- 2009 “Ripped from the Headlines: Newspaper Depictions of Battered Women in Peru.” In Local Violence, Global Media: Feminist Analyses of Gendered Representations, edited by Lisa Cuklanz and Sujata Moorti. Pp. 46-64. Peter Lang Publishers.
- 2008 “Identidad y violencia en la vida intima de las mujeres en Lima.” In Visión del Perú de académicos peruanos en Estados Unidos, edited by M.C. Alcalde and J. Zavala. Pp. 73-88. Lima: Academia Diplomática del Perú.
- 2004 “Leaders, Healers, Laborers, and Lovers: Re-Interpreting Women’s Roles in Moche Society.” In Ungendering Civilization: Reinterpreting the Archaeological Record, edited by K.A. Pyburn. Pp. 136-155. New York: Routledge
Encyclopedia Entries and Essays
- 2011 “Gender Politics” essay for The Encyclopedia of Latino/a Politics, Law and Social Movements, edited by Suzanne Oboler. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2011 “Peru” entry for The Multimedia Encyclopedia of Women in Today's World, edited by Mary Zeiss Stange, Carol Oyster, and Geoffrey Golson. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- 2010 “Peru” entry for The Encyclopedia of Motherhood, edited by Andrea O’Reilly. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
Book and Film Reviews
- 2017 Review of documentaries Flirting with Danger: Power and Choice in Heterosexual Relationships (Lynn Phillips, 2012) and Private Violence (Cynthia Hill, 2015). Films for the Feminist Classroom. Forthcoming.
- 2016 Book review of Mobile Selves: Race, Migration, and Belonging in Peru and the U.S. (Ulla D. Berg). American Anthropologist.
- 2016 Book review of Women Supervising and Writing Doctoral Theses: Walking on the Grass (Lia Bryant and Katrina Jaworski, eds.). Voices: Association for Feminist Anthropology.
- 2016 Book review of Return to Sender: The Moral Economy of Peru's Migrant Remittances (Karsten Paerregaard). Bulletin of Latin American Research.
- 2016 Book review of Sexual Violence During War and Peace: Gender, Power, and Post-Conflict Justice in Peru (Jelke Boesten). Bulletin of Latin American Research.
- 2013 Book review of Second-Wave Neoliberalism: Gender, Race, and Health Sector Reform in Peru (Christina Ewig). Perspectives on Politics 10 (3): 852-853. 2013 Book review of Terrorizing Women: Feminicide in the Américas (Rosa-Linda Fregoso and Cynthia Bejarano, eds.). Bulletin of Latin American Research 32 (4): 509-511.
- 2012 Book review of The Latino Migration Experience in North Carolina (Hannah Gill). The Latin Americanist 56 (2): 189-191.
- 2011 Book review of Transformations of La Familia on the U.S.-Mexico Border (Márquez and Romo, eds.). Latino Studies 9: 505-507.
- 2009 Book review of Domestic Violence at the Margins (Sokoloff and Pratt, eds.). Feminist Teacher 20 (1): 85-86.
- 2007 Film review of Compadre (Mikael Wistrom, First Run/Icarus Films). Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Anthropology 12(1): 319-321.
- 2006 Book review of The Peru Reader, 2nd edition (Starn, Degregori, and Kirk, eds.). The Latin Americanist 50 (1): 183-185.
- 2005 Book review of Gender and the Boundaries of Dress in Contemporary Peru (Blenda Femenias). Journal of Latin American Anthropology 10 (2): 437-439.
- 2003 Book review of Guaman Poma y Blas Valera: Tradición andina e historia colonial (Antonio Pellicani, ed). Latin American Antiquity 14 (1): 85-86.
- 1999 Book review of The Allure of the Foreign (Benjamin Orlove, ed.). Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 5 (1): 150-152.
- Article manuscript “’That Anyone Can Come and Touch Me, Push Me, Bother Me’: Intersecting Hierarchies in Return Migrants’ Street Harassment Narratives in Lima, Peru.” Under review at Global Networks. Submitted April 2017.
Works in Progress
- Article manuscript “College Students’ Perspectives on Contemporary Immigration in the U.S. South.” In progress.
Interviews and Popular Press: TV, Radio, and Newspapers
- 2017 Interview on Ampliación de Noticias, RPP Noticias, June 1, 2017. Live TV and Radio program. Topic: Violence against women in Peru.
- 2017 Interview with La República (Peru, newspaper) on feminicide and violence against women in Peru. Sociedad section. June 2, 2017. Link: http://larepublica.pe/impresa/sociedad/881994-todos-estamos-llamados-proteger-mujeres-violentadas
- 2014 Interview with El Comercio (Peru, newspaper) about book “La mujer en la violencia.” Link: http://elcomercio.pe/lima/ciudad/hogar-lugar-mas-peligroso-mujer-noticia-1741595
- 2013 “Entrevista a Cristina Alcalde: Interseccionalidad y violencia.” La Colmena Journal, Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú. Link: http://lacolmena.pe/category/noticias/
- 2012 “Silencio Sexual/Sexual Silence.” Guest Column for La Voz, Central Kentucky’s Spanish/English Newspaper. Lexington, Kentucky.
- 2010 “Gender, Poverty and Resistance in Peru--An Interview With M. Cristina Alcalde.” Interview by Lucinda Marshall. Feminist Peace Network. Available at http://www.feministpeacenetwork.org/2010/10/07/gender-poverty-and-resistance-in-peru-an-interview-with-m-cristina-alcalde/